Skip to main content

Peace is a total commitment.

I am reading through the text of A Course in Miracles a section a day.

I came to the sentence, "The Atonement is a total commitment" in Chapter 2, section II, p7, 7.

This reminds me of how Jennifer Hadley says, "You can't be a little pregnant." :) I have thought of the example of vegans, vegetarians, zero wasters, and others who declare a life choice based on their values and preferences. Vegans could take a day off and have a cheeseburger. Most likely, their bodies would have an adverse reaction, and they may also feel guilty. I am not suggesting vegans shouldn't eat a cheeseburger, simply pointing out that once you make a commitment to yourself, breaking it has consequences. All consequences can be forgiven, of course, yet we are looking at the idea: Peace is an 'all in' lifestyle.

Those of us who say we want peace must know that peace is achieved by following a certain set of guidelines. Attack is no longer an option. Victimhood is no longer an option. Separation thinking is no longer an option.  Suffering is no longer an option.

I had a question in a recent workshop, "How can you choose to be peaceful all the time? It's so hard." My response was, "How do you feel when you attack your loved ones?" She said something like, "crappy." Well, there is the consequence. What helps you choose peace consistently, is the freedom and joy that it opens up. You learn to follow the feeling.

The ego would have us think we are "sacrificing" or "giving up" a freedom, or a temptation to attack. Just like a vegan may go through the fear thought that "I can never have cheese again. Like real cheese."

Yet, the reward for eating clean is equal to the effort: clear skin, clear mind, energy, and so on. The reward for choosing the atonement is peace. Atonement, as I have learned, can be seen as at-one-ment. One with each other. One with the world. When we are one with the world and all experiences, people, situations, when we choose to attack, we attack ourselves. When we argue, we argue with what WE designed.

 It's like the Robins (birds) that were bashing into my windows last week. Apparently, during a particular time of year, they are territorial and irritable. When they see their reflection in the window, they attack it. And I mean, they keep freakin' doing it! What a nice alarm clock, a bird bashing itself against the window behind our bed at 5:28am :). It's a nice reminder though, that when we attack someone, we are bashing up against our own mirror; we are fighting with ourselves.

The ego will mostly likely express it's resistance to seeing everything as ours. Historical tragedies, horrific crimes, and behaviors that seem outside of our capabilities. The ego would love to find exceptions, holes and traps so that it can continue to tempt us into attack, victimhood, separation and suffering. Just like for some, being on a diet, only increases the temptation for what we are not supposed to eat.

For me, if I want peace, I must first align with the ONENESS, choosing a 100% responsibility mentality, just like 0% waste, or 0% animal product consumption. Once you are on the path, you can experiment with exceptions and see what happens. If a vegan decides to eat fish, they can try it and see how it feels. It's not about deprivation. It's about the awareness that what we choose creates a vibration, a feeling. If we truly want peace, we must learn the choices, thoughts, and behaviors that secure and perpetuate peace.

The commitment becomes a joy because the reward is everything we ever truly wanted!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: Starting

When I met my husband back in 2009, it was an intense “intrigue at first sight”. I felt a deep connection to his gaze, and he held me very tenderly and intently. I can’t prove that we had known each other before, but my first thoughts were “Who are you?”. “How are you so captivating?”. Fast forward to present day, we are married. I would say that up until just a few weeks ago, most of our eight-year relationship we were in what A Course In Miracles calls the “special relationship.” He was an idol to me. His love, affection, reactions and actions could send me soaring to feelings of intense happiness, or plunging into dark places of fear. Feeling that I needed his love, his affection, and his undivided attention would send me into moments of fear, rage, jealousy and suspicion. Thanks to the brilliant work of Byron Katie, I began questioning the thoughts that often sent me spiraling. Her process of asking the four questions, “Is it true?”, “Can you absolutely know that it’s true?”

Unsubscribe to guilt

Readers! I have taken a hiatus. Thank you for your patience. Guess what? I am not guilty for leaving my blog unattended. Guilt is my topic today. The message is: unsubscribe! I've been looking closely at Chapter 13 in  A Course in Miracles, titled, "The Guiltless World." After reading in section 1: "Love and guilt cannot coexist, and to accept one is to deny the other."  I find the message is so simple and so profound. I can not feel love in my heart when I am participating in guilting others or myself. Reading this chapter has made me aware of when I make others wrong and has inspired me to pursue a life without guilt. Let's dig deeper! Real life application :  The other day while at a four-way stop someone went out of queue and turned instead of me. I made a sound. You know those mouthy sounds that signify disgust, disappointment, disapproval. It was actually a really nice-appearing lady who smiled and waved in her mini-van, and  I felt sheepish for

When you don't love, it hurts...

I'm inspired for my posts to respond to quotes from Byron Katie's book "Question your thinking, change the world." Here's today's: When you don't love the other person, it hurts, because love is your very self. And you can't make  yourself do it! You can't make yourself love someone. But when you come to love yourself, you automatically love the other person. You can't not. Just as you can't make yourself love us, you can't make yourself not love us. It's all your projection. What I get from this quote is that I haven't known LOVE according to it's highest, purest form. I've known attachment and entanglement.  When I ask myself the question, "How can I get to a point where I know myself AS LOVE?", I think: meditate. It's brilliant because I can sense this is where the intellect meets a wall. You can't think your way to knowing yourself as LOVE. In my awareness, this must be experienced