Skip to main content

Losing yourSELF in a relationship

According to the Enneagram personality archetype, I am a 2. Twos are helpers and givers. In addition, my first instinct for relating is intimate, meaning, I put the needs of others and the whole before my own. In the past, this combo was a recipe for putting myself last and allowing relationships to eclipse my own sense of self and my own desires.

The beauty of my path of awakening is that now I know that I am not my personality. As I wrote previously that there are many influences that I sense in my being. The highest truth is that I can from God and I AM SPIRIT. I AM ONE with the energy of the creator. I have learned that my personality is a tool, a catalyst for my growth. Through the temptation to unlovingly ignore my own needs, and give to get love to feel secure, I inevitably met pain and suffering. This pain and discomfort taught me to go another way.

I remember when I was in my twenties, I took an entire English class for my boyfriend. I read the books and wrote the papers. He was a great manipulator and I was an unhealthy giver. I recall a co-worker found out what I was doing and she disapproved. She gave me the book, "In the Meantime" by Iyanla Vanzant and I entered a deeper phase of my spiritual unfoldment. I later went on to attend two retreats with Iyanla. I got so many nuggets of golden truth, and I am grateful that my unhealthy behavior was met by SPIRIT's loving guidance to not only stop over-giving, but to begin to learn what LOVE is.

I have learned that the most powerful way that I can show up is to ask SPIRIT, "how can I be helpful." If left to my own personality devices, I may try to FIX and do for others and end up not really helping. I ask SPIRIT to guide me. I also learned to extend the same generosity to myself. Adding in time in my schedule for me to get ready. Spending time with the desires of my heart through visioning, journaling and taking action steps toward the inner aspirations that excite and inspire me.

SPIRIT will use everything to teach you. I used to lose mySELF, my truth in relationships because I didn't know who I was. I felt if someone else loved and adored me, I was safe. Knowing that my SELF is infinite, wholly loved and wholly lovable, I can let my heart be generous with no strings attached.

Comments

  1. I can relate as I am also a 2. I'm curious what number is your husband? Mine is a 9. I think it is helpful that I know S is a 9 bc it's easier for me to understand when he won't confront something and is able to just let it go. It's his "9ness" showing up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: Starting

When I met my husband back in 2009, it was an intense “intrigue at first sight”. I felt a deep connection to his gaze, and he held me very tenderly and intently. I can’t prove that we had known each other before, but my first thoughts were “Who are you?”. “How are you so captivating?”. Fast forward to present day, we are married. I would say that up until just a few weeks ago, most of our eight-year relationship we were in what A Course In Miracles calls the “special relationship.” He was an idol to me. His love, affection, reactions and actions could send me soaring to feelings of intense happiness, or plunging into dark places of fear. Feeling that I needed his love, his affection, and his undivided attention would send me into moments of fear, rage, jealousy and suspicion. Thanks to the brilliant work of Byron Katie, I began questioning the thoughts that often sent me spiraling. Her process of asking the four questions, “Is it true?”, “Can you absolutely know that it’s true?”

Unsubscribe to guilt

Readers! I have taken a hiatus. Thank you for your patience. Guess what? I am not guilty for leaving my blog unattended. Guilt is my topic today. The message is: unsubscribe! I've been looking closely at Chapter 13 in  A Course in Miracles, titled, "The Guiltless World." After reading in section 1: "Love and guilt cannot coexist, and to accept one is to deny the other."  I find the message is so simple and so profound. I can not feel love in my heart when I am participating in guilting others or myself. Reading this chapter has made me aware of when I make others wrong and has inspired me to pursue a life without guilt. Let's dig deeper! Real life application :  The other day while at a four-way stop someone went out of queue and turned instead of me. I made a sound. You know those mouthy sounds that signify disgust, disappointment, disapproval. It was actually a really nice-appearing lady who smiled and waved in her mini-van, and  I felt sheepish for

When you don't love, it hurts...

I'm inspired for my posts to respond to quotes from Byron Katie's book "Question your thinking, change the world." Here's today's: When you don't love the other person, it hurts, because love is your very self. And you can't make  yourself do it! You can't make yourself love someone. But when you come to love yourself, you automatically love the other person. You can't not. Just as you can't make yourself love us, you can't make yourself not love us. It's all your projection. What I get from this quote is that I haven't known LOVE according to it's highest, purest form. I've known attachment and entanglement.  When I ask myself the question, "How can I get to a point where I know myself AS LOVE?", I think: meditate. It's brilliant because I can sense this is where the intellect meets a wall. You can't think your way to knowing yourself as LOVE. In my awareness, this must be experienced