Skip to main content

How do I know if I should stay?

I have heard many spiritual seekers ask this question, "How do you know if you should stay in a relationship?".

I love this Byron Katie quote:

Once we begin to question our thoughts, our patners-alive, dead, or divorced-are always our greatest teachers. There's no mistake about the person you're with; he or she is the perfect teacher for you, whether or not the relationship works out, and once you enter inquiry, you come to see that clearly. There's never a mistake in the universe. (I felt that statement was bold-worthy!). So if your partner is angry, good. If there are things about him that you consider flaws, good, because these flaws are your own, you're projecting them, and you can write them down, inquire, and set yourself free. People go to India to find a guru, but you don't have to: you're living with one. Your partner will give you everything you need for your own freedom.

It's quotes like these that prompt a huge sigh of relief for me. The Universe doesn't make mistakes. Similarly, I have heard Byron Katie say, "How do you know you are supposed to be in a relationship? You are in one." Basically, there is no need for us to question what is. We can simply work with it, if we choose. I am all in when it comes to healing what I see showing up in my marriage.

So if my husband's flaws are my own, here is what I am working with:

1. I am untrustworthy--Indeed I have the awareness that I have made commitments to myself and others and not followed through. Indeed I have felt and thought things that I was afraid to say. I have heard my intuition and not followed it. I have also been hiding things from my husband that I don't want him to know. I am not an open book, which means that I am judging my behaviors as wrong or bad. Which means that I am feeling some shame. In this way, I am being the person I fear he is.

2. I am not affectionate--Again, sometimes I feel resistance to reaching for my husband's hand or rubbing his back. My mind loves to say, "You used to be so free and affectionate. What happened?". I am clear that I used to use affection as a barometer to happiness. Now I can feel a shift where I am expressing affection from a genuine place of not wanting to get anything in return. Not using affection and sex to control and FEEL closer. Instead, giving affection authentically from an overflow of love. It feels like a shift and for now, I am giving myself the leeway to do nothing, rather than to force.

3. I withhold my feelings--Totally. I can agree to this. I sometimes feel my lips are glued shut. It would take a miracle to pry them open. I am in shutdown mode. Or, I am standing at the edge of a conversation without the energy to take a leap, and so I don't. I turn around and usually, I start cleaning something :). I have observed my husband respond to a question or a sharing of mine with nothing of his own. I have felt so unsupported by his lack of response that I would cry or have a mini-fit. When I see him not engaging and sharing, I take it as a personal attack that he doesn't care enough to share, or that I am unworthy of his sharing. This is the meaning I have made. All the while, the behavior is something I can relate to.

The process of using my partner as a mirror works for me. It feels like a pathway to freedom. If I were to have to figure out when to stay and when to go, I would feel enormous pressure. If I were free to judge him as an unfit partner, I think I would create a bad habit of judging others and never looking within. If I can observe all of my experiences with him as a path of healing my own unhealed stuff, I feel liberated. I feel safe. I feel grateful for what I am seeing. Rather than being a victim, or trying to exert control, I can be a master observer taking notes and inquiring more and more within: "How am I like this?". This feels empowering!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: Starting

When I met my husband back in 2009, it was an intense “intrigue at first sight”. I felt a deep connection to his gaze, and he held me very tenderly and intently. I can’t prove that we had known each other before, but my first thoughts were “Who are you?”. “How are you so captivating?”. Fast forward to present day, we are married. I would say that up until just a few weeks ago, most of our eight-year relationship we were in what A Course In Miracles calls the “special relationship.” He was an idol to me. His love, affection, reactions and actions could send me soaring to feelings of intense happiness, or plunging into dark places of fear. Feeling that I needed his love, his affection, and his undivided attention would send me into moments of fear, rage, jealousy and suspicion. Thanks to the brilliant work of Byron Katie, I began questioning the thoughts that often sent me spiraling. Her process of asking the four questions, “Is it true?”, “Can you absolutely know that it’s true?”

Unsubscribe to guilt

Readers! I have taken a hiatus. Thank you for your patience. Guess what? I am not guilty for leaving my blog unattended. Guilt is my topic today. The message is: unsubscribe! I've been looking closely at Chapter 13 in  A Course in Miracles, titled, "The Guiltless World." After reading in section 1: "Love and guilt cannot coexist, and to accept one is to deny the other."  I find the message is so simple and so profound. I can not feel love in my heart when I am participating in guilting others or myself. Reading this chapter has made me aware of when I make others wrong and has inspired me to pursue a life without guilt. Let's dig deeper! Real life application :  The other day while at a four-way stop someone went out of queue and turned instead of me. I made a sound. You know those mouthy sounds that signify disgust, disappointment, disapproval. It was actually a really nice-appearing lady who smiled and waved in her mini-van, and  I felt sheepish for

When you don't love, it hurts...

I'm inspired for my posts to respond to quotes from Byron Katie's book "Question your thinking, change the world." Here's today's: When you don't love the other person, it hurts, because love is your very self. And you can't make  yourself do it! You can't make yourself love someone. But when you come to love yourself, you automatically love the other person. You can't not. Just as you can't make yourself love us, you can't make yourself not love us. It's all your projection. What I get from this quote is that I haven't known LOVE according to it's highest, purest form. I've known attachment and entanglement.  When I ask myself the question, "How can I get to a point where I know myself AS LOVE?", I think: meditate. It's brilliant because I can sense this is where the intellect meets a wall. You can't think your way to knowing yourself as LOVE. In my awareness, this must be experienced