Skip to main content

Growing pains, what happens when I don't question my thoughts and feelings.





Whew! What a day yesterday! Talk about stewing in my own muck and crappy thinking! I spent hours feeling uncomfortable and irritable. Although I knew this wasn't the highest possibility, ultimately, I allowed myself to just be there feeling everything; I learned so much!

I had been feeling a desire to approach my husband about a concern I had. I got the urge the day before, and decided to process on my own. I woke up with the same urge to approach him. After some consideration, I decided to go for it.

After speaking, I didn't get much out of him (it appeared) and I interpreted the experience as standing on a stage professing my truth and him giving me a single clap. I placed a lot of pressure on him to appreciate my "performance" and to see all the nuances of my vulnerability, courage. I wanted him to know that I desire him to share and communicate with me his VISION FOR OUR FUTURE. This is what I told myself was true. But was it true?

Did I question any of my stressful thoughts as I so often coach and counsel? Not really. I believed that he should have done more, and I believe that it was ok and normal for me to respond by being sad. I later realized I was sad because I didn't question the thought, "I am sad."

I went to my medicine cabinet (my computer) and pulled out a large bottle of my favorite pain medicine (Byron Katie YouTube videos) and swallowed several. The teachings that spoke to me were:

Victims are violent: Yes! As a victim of the situation I felt validated to shut down and to be hostile in my silence and my huffy-puffyness all day.

I project: YES! When I did a judge-your-neighbor worksheet I was amazed at what I wrote that I wanted him to do. When I turned all of my statements around, I found a lot of truth!

Statement 1. I want him to talk with me and share his vision.

Turnaround: Perhaps I really want him to want my vision. Perhaps I want to talk with him and share my vision.

Statement 2. I need him to look at me, acknowledge what I've said, and tell me his thoughts and feelings.

Turnaround: I could have acknowledged what he DID say and to tell him my feelings about it.

Statement 3. He is stubborn and gives up easily. He puts his preservation before me.

Turnaround: I was soooo stubborn in my actions. I was giving up. I am thinking constantly how to preserve myself and make him suffer.

Statement 4. He shouldn't glue his mouth closed and watch me cry.

Turnaround: My mouth was glued shut and I was watching myself cry without asking for help or questioning any of it! 

Statement 5. I don't ever want a one sided relationship. I don't ever want to experience a dead end in my marriage.

TurnaroundI do want a one-sided relationship.

If I can get right with ME, the other side will be ok. If I can focus on the one-sided relationship, I will find what I am looking for! The dead end of my personality not being fed is the way to my truly liberated self.


I know what my feelings mean: I can think I feel sadness, but I don't know for sure. I can think that I KNOW why I am upset and stay in this righteous story, OR, I can question. Perhaps I was upset with joy. My husband did in fact answer me and gave me an answer that I wanted. Yet, I still felt upset because he didn't give me more. Questioning that I don't in fact know what I am feeling, really, gives space for the shift.

I would love to believe that I don't need to suffer any more to ultimately live from my TRUE SELF, but is it true? Did I suffer?

Perhaps what I need is exactly what I am experiencing. Perhaps the only issue is that I am believing my thoughts without questioning them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: Starting

When I met my husband back in 2009, it was an intense “intrigue at first sight”. I felt a deep connection to his gaze, and he held me very tenderly and intently. I can’t prove that we had known each other before, but my first thoughts were “Who are you?”. “How are you so captivating?”. Fast forward to present day, we are married. I would say that up until just a few weeks ago, most of our eight-year relationship we were in what A Course In Miracles calls the “special relationship.” He was an idol to me. His love, affection, reactions and actions could send me soaring to feelings of intense happiness, or plunging into dark places of fear. Feeling that I needed his love, his affection, and his undivided attention would send me into moments of fear, rage, jealousy and suspicion. Thanks to the brilliant work of Byron Katie, I began questioning the thoughts that often sent me spiraling. Her process of asking the four questions, “Is it true?”, “Can you absolutely know that it’s true?”

Unsubscribe to guilt

Readers! I have taken a hiatus. Thank you for your patience. Guess what? I am not guilty for leaving my blog unattended. Guilt is my topic today. The message is: unsubscribe! I've been looking closely at Chapter 13 in  A Course in Miracles, titled, "The Guiltless World." After reading in section 1: "Love and guilt cannot coexist, and to accept one is to deny the other."  I find the message is so simple and so profound. I can not feel love in my heart when I am participating in guilting others or myself. Reading this chapter has made me aware of when I make others wrong and has inspired me to pursue a life without guilt. Let's dig deeper! Real life application :  The other day while at a four-way stop someone went out of queue and turned instead of me. I made a sound. You know those mouthy sounds that signify disgust, disappointment, disapproval. It was actually a really nice-appearing lady who smiled and waved in her mini-van, and  I felt sheepish for

When you don't love, it hurts...

I'm inspired for my posts to respond to quotes from Byron Katie's book "Question your thinking, change the world." Here's today's: When you don't love the other person, it hurts, because love is your very self. And you can't make  yourself do it! You can't make yourself love someone. But when you come to love yourself, you automatically love the other person. You can't not. Just as you can't make yourself love us, you can't make yourself not love us. It's all your projection. What I get from this quote is that I haven't known LOVE according to it's highest, purest form. I've known attachment and entanglement.  When I ask myself the question, "How can I get to a point where I know myself AS LOVE?", I think: meditate. It's brilliant because I can sense this is where the intellect meets a wall. You can't think your way to knowing yourself as LOVE. In my awareness, this must be experienced